Prep: 35 minutes
Bake: 55 minutes
Cool: 15 minutes
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 tablespoon baking soda
* 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 2 cups cooked, mashed plain sweet potatoes*
* 1-1/2 cups cooking oil
* 4 eggs
* 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
* 1-1/2 cups sugar
* 1 cup chopped walnuts and/or pecans, toasted
* 3/4 cup chopped cranberries
* 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
* Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, salt, cloves, and nutmeg. Set aside.
2. In a very large bowl beat sweet potatoes and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Beat in sugar. Add flour mixture, beating until combined. Fold in walnuts and cranberries.
3. Transfer 1/3 (about 2-1/2 cups) of the batter to a large bowl; stir in melted chocolate. Spoon half of the remaining plain batter into the prepared tube pan. Spoon chocolate batter atop batter in pan. Spoon remaining plain batter atop chocolate batter. Using a thin metal spatula, swirl batter slightly to create a marbled appearance.
4. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 55 to 65 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; invert cake onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
5. If desired, sprinkle top of cake with powdered sugar just before serving. Makes 16 servings.
Tip:>B>This cake makes a great morning coffee cake. If serving it in the morning, make it the day before. Wrap and store the cooled cake overnight for easier slicing.
*Note:For 2 cups mashed, plain sweet potatoes, peel 1 pound sweet potatoes. Cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces. Cook potato pieces, covered, in enough boiling water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain well. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
Sweet Potato-Cranberry Cake