about 24 large cookies
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 3/4 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 2-1/2 cups regular or quick-cooking rolled oats
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
* 1 cup white baking pieces or peanut butter-flavored pieces
* 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts or pecans
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening and butter with an electric mixer 30 seconds or until softened. Add sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat mixture until combined.
2. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat thoroughly. Beat in flour and cocoa powder at low speed until just combined. By hand, stir in the oats, chocolate pieces, white baking pieces and nuts.
3. Using a 1/4-cup dry measure, drop dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Press dough into a 3-inch circle. Repeat with remaining dough, placing cookies 3 inches apart on cookie sheets.
4. Bake cookies in a 350° oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until just set. Let stand 1 minute on a cookie sheet. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. Store cookies in a container in the freezer up to 3 months. Makes about 24 large cookies.