16 brownies Bake: 30 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
* 3 ounces sweet baking chocolate
* 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
* 1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
* 3 eggs
* 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup chopped nuts
* Chocolate Frosting (optional) (see recipe below)
1. In a small heavy saucepan, melt sweet baking chocolate and the 3 tablespoons butter over low heat, stirring occasionally. Let cool.
2. For the cream cheese layer, in a small mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and 2 tablespoons butter until combined. Beat in the 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, one egg, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until combined.
3. For chocolate layer, in another mixing bowl, beat together the 3/4 cup sugar and two eggs. Beat in the melted and cooled chocolate, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and the almond extract.
4. Add the 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, and salt, beating mixture just until combined. Stir in the nuts.
5. In a greased 9x9x2-inch baking pan, spread half of the chocolate mixture. Evenly spoon all of the cream cheese mixture over the chocolate layer, spreading evenly. Dollop remaining chocolate mixture over cream cheese layer. Swirl layers with a knife or spatula.
6. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
7. Frost brownies, if desired. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. Makes 16.
Chocolate Frosting: In a mixing bowl, beat together 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1 ounce melted and cooled sweet baking chocolate, and 1 tablespoon butter or margarine until smooth. Beat in 1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar and enough milk (about 2 tablespoons) to make a spreadable frosting.