42 cookies Bake: 10 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
* 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 cup butter, softened
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup ground almonds
* 1 slightly beaten egg yolk
* 1 tablespoon water
* Sliced almonds
1. In a mixing bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, cinnamon, cardamom, and baking powder.
2. In another bowl, beat butter, sugar, and egg with an electric mixer until thoroughly blended. Add flour mixture and ground almonds; beat well. Cover; chill dough 2 hours or until easy to handle.
3. Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Flatten the balls slightly. Combine egg yolk and water. Brush the tops with egg mixture; sprinkle with sliced almonds.
4. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cookies are set. Remove and cool on a wire rack. Makes 42 cookies.
Note: Add some color to these cookies by drizzling them with melted pastel candy coating, confectioner's coating, or almond bark. Add 1/2 teaspoon shortening to the mixture for easy drizzling.