12 servings Prep: 40 minutes
Bake: 45 minutes
* 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 cup butter
* 1-3/4 cups sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 4 eggs
* 1/2 cup evaporated milk
* 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
* 1-1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
* 1-1/2 cups finely shredded unpeeled zucchini
* 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
* 1 recipe Pecan-Cream Cheese Icing (see recipe below)
1. Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan or two 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans; set aside.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, soda, salt, and nutmeg.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
5. Stir together the milk and lemon juice. Add dry ingredients and milk mixture alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition, just until combined.
6. Stir in the carrots and zucchini and fold in the nuts. Pour batter into the prepared pan(s).
7. Bake in a 350 degree F oven 45 to 50 minutes (about 40 minutes for 9-inch pans) or until a toothpick inserted near the center(s) comes out clean. Place 13x9-inch cake in pan on a wire rack and cool thoroughly. Or for round layers, cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool on wire racks.
8. Frost top of cake in 13x9-inch pan or fill and frost 9-inch layers with Pecan-Cream Cheese Icing. Makes 12 servings.
Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare and frost cake; cover and chill up to 24 hours.
Pecan-Cream Cheese Icing: Combine two 3-ounce packages softened cream cheese, 4 teaspoons milk, and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Gradually add 4-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar to creamed mixture; beat until smooth and fluffy. Stir in 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans. If necessary, add additional milk to make frosting of spreading consistency.